Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Madrid Manifestation.




 Many times I was asked, "Why Spain for your final project?
For me, it was about following a re-occuring piece of advice that simply would not go away.
“Eve, you have to learn how to trust yourself and follow your gut.”
My gut told me Spain. My gut told me Madrid.
I originally wanted to tell a story about the economic situation in Spain. Even thought my final project took another path, I still went and took photos at the protest on June 8th. 

"uno, dos, tres."
With the announcement to begin the march, so came the rain. It was very fitting for the overall mood of the protest. It seemed to raise the energy level, and not turn people away. 

The protest was held by several unions who have been affected by the new austerity package presented by the Spanish government in an effort to save the already sinking economy. 

75,000 people attended and tried to make their voices heard. 
This is only the first of several protests that are taking place in Spain.
Madrid_ENE_4 copy

Madrid Manifest-8 copy
\Madrid Manifest-3 copy

Madrid Manifest-11 copy

The rest of my photos can be seen here.

Madrid_ENE_5_1

Here is an example of some of the more impulsive, super fun things I did during the protest. Other fun activities included: Getting on the CNN press riser, getting a Spanish press pass, following by example and standing on cafe tables, and climbing a 10ft press riser in the pouring rain.

I loved every second. 


No comments:

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.