Friday, March 4, 2011

Picture Story: Bird By Bird Reading

I appreciated this chapter because it talks about not judging a story too quickly and sticking around with a subject. My strength in photojournalism is long-term story work. I am a firm believer in keeping in touch with subjects and continuing work, as someone story really never ends. It also shows the importance of the relationship between a photojournalist and their subject. If you disappear from your subjects life, sometimes it comes off in a bad way. They invest time with the photojournalist, and it can come off as the photojournalist simply using their story for personal gain.

I also thought it was interesting to look at death as a way subjects open up about their lives. I have never worked with someone who is close to this stage in their life. But I think it's an interesting way for a subject to reflect on their life and have it documented.

No comments:

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.