Thursday, January 21, 2010

Home of Hope

When my parents decided to name the orphanage Home of Hope, I wonder if they ever predicted how true to the name it would become. Hope is seen everywhere in this home. It's seen in Samuel, who's smile grows as we tell him about his designs on the shirts we are creating. It's seen in Raj Kumar, who helps our youngest boy Santosh put on his shoes. It's seen in David and Sylvia the caretakers of the orphanage, who are parents to the 53 beautiful children.

I wish I could accurately describe the experiences at the home, but I am always falling short. There are so many things on the horizon for the kids, it's so exciting. We are beginning to see their individual personalities grow into young adults. We are no longer strangers, but sisters, auntie and uncle to these 53 amazing family members.

On this visit, we brought kites for the children for Sankranthi. It was fascinating to watch. Their excitement when the kite finally caught the wind and flew into the sky. The disappointment on their face when the kite plummeted to the ground.

As we watched the children play, my dad put his arm around me.
"We really did something here."

<span class=

<span class=

Kites_ENE20100121

No comments:

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.