Monday, January 18, 2010

Power Problems

Electricity is becoming a problem in Hyderabad. The power grids can't handle the urban sprawl. So, it's not surprising when half the house fazes out for 3 hours. This happens when the electric companies try and distribute the power in the neighborhood. Efforts are being made to try and conserve the electricity, but it's difficult. There is a street in Charminar, known as Bangle Alley, in which hundreds of little shops selling bangles line the road. One of these shops, Kanahiyala Motilal Karwa, caught on fire when the shop experienced a power shortage. A crowd of people stood outside the shop, so I slid through to the front of the crowd. When I got to the store, one of the men asked me if I was a reporter, I nodded and said, "Yeah, I am a photojournalist." (With a huge smile on my face)

Power Shortage_3

Power Shortage_2

Power Shortage

Power Shortage_1

No comments:

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.