Monday, January 31, 2011

Picture Story #2: Photographer Perceptions.

For this blog post- I am responding to readings for my picture story class. I am truly inspired by the Tao of Photography readings, it provides a breath of fresh insight and a different way to look at methods of shooting and thinking about photography.

I think many photojournalism students at one point or another get mentally lost in their classes; meaning they loose sight of their own expectations and follow what they think is expected of them. These readings are a great way to get back in touch with what you expect from yourself. While this reading covered a handful of topics, a couple of them really stuck out to me. One of these topics was the differences between "little" and "great" understanding. The "little" understanding focuses on the technical aspect of photography and the "great" understanding focuses on the artistry part of photography. To obtain a great understanding there has to be a balance with knowledge from the little understanding. Sometimes people get lost in what makes a good photographer, but this balance of understanding is a great way to explain that it isn't just one component.

I also liked the Bird by Bird readings, regarding failure and overcoming the first attempts of a story. When I begin a story, the fear of failure and not making that first point of contact looms over my head. I liked how she encouraged her students and told them to basically get over it and get tough. After many story failures, I have found that its much easier to get over rejection and move on.

No comments:

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.