Monday, February 8, 2010

Bandana Coverage.

This past weekend, an organization called Good Night White Pride, held a protest against the Nazi group in Aarhus. White supremacy and Nazi groups have become a bigger problem in Aarhus over the past several years. I asked one of the protestors if there are issues with the Nazis in Copenhagen, "In Copenhagen, we don't have room for them. We push them out." Many of the protestors came from Copenhagen and joined others from Aarhus in front of city hall. From city hall, they marched for 3KM around the city and ended in another public square near the canal. The march was filled with chanting and music played from a truck. Chumbawamba's anarchy anthem,TubThumping was played a couple of times along with other songs with a similar theme.

Before the protest, I tried to get a better understanding of the organization. After several attempts, I found a few people that would talk to me. Many of the protestors were extremely guarded because the police teams at the event. They recorded the entire event, which meant for the protestors, their faces going on record with the police. For this reason, they covered their faces with bandanas and sun glasses, and talked primarily to their friends. All the answers I got were basically the same as what is listed on their website.

I am glad this event happened during my first week here. While I struggled in some areas, I pushed
myself in other ways with my photography. I also learned a lot about Danish society and social issues.

Okay. Photo time.



20100208_ENE_NaziProtest1
20100208_ENE_NaziProtest2
20100208_ENE_NaziProtest3
20100208_ENE_NaziProtest4
20100208_ENE_NaziProtest6
20100208_ENE_NaziProtest7
20100208_ENE_NaziProtest9
Out of all the photos I took, this one is the most important to me. They marched past the Jewish cemetery, which dates back to the early 1800s.

20100208_ENE_NaziProtest11
20100208_ENE_NaziProtest12
20100208_ENE_NaziProtest13
20100208_ENE_NaziProtest15

There are also a few more on my flickr too.

4 comments:

louie. said...

Hi Eve! This is Lorraine from the international multimedia/stereotype class. Thanks so much for letting me know about the protests (yea, you told me about it in the Student House ;). I'm really glad as well that I can attend this in the very first week of class. Opened my eyes. And yea, it was interesting to learn about Danish social issues.

I like your photos, esp the ones 'featuring' the faces of the protestors...which in effect showed something about the face of
the protest itself.

Lorraine

louie. said...

and yes, the protestors were pretty guarded. i asked one of those i spoke to to leave me his name, but he just scribbled a long string of illegible wave/symbols on my notebook, and told me i can interpret it however i wanted to. at that time i found it a little....rude, but now i know the reason

Anonymous said...

hey eve! sweet pics. the whole bandana thing is practiced by black blocs in the US too, although I think the practice did originate in Europe.

As a note of interest, the logo they use with the three arrows pointing down to the right is actually my friend's band Strike Anywhere's logo, I think they meant to do the Anti Fascist circle with the three arrows pointing down to the left!

Looks like you're having fun in Denmark :)

Unknown said...

oh the pirate party, how I do dearly love them. the bandanna gig is similar at demonstrations in the US because 1) covering your face or wearing a mask is typically illegal with a demonstration permit - which sounds oxymoronic "sure, here you can be defiant, just sign this form...". 2) soaking a bandanna in water and vinegar and wearing it over your mouth and nose lets you breathe easier in tear gas/smoke bombs/aerosol pepper spray, and 3) color and style help you identify your affinity group. oh my protest/arrest name was always Allenjaphy and my affinity group was lead by "Dandelion Mackenzie" who's real honest name was John Thomas.

do let me know when you're back and around. Clearly I need to help with tuition and have you document my 2 year old pirate duo.

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.