Wednesday, March 17, 2010

You Might Die Trying.



An important lesson I have learned during my time in Denmark: Always try. Even when the odds are stacked high against you, always try, because sometimes things happen to work out. On the bus to Copenhagen, I ran into 2 students going to the sold out Dave Matthews Band concert. The concert sold out in 15 minutes when it first went on sale months ago, before I knew about studying in Denmark. I had tried to travel and see the band in other cities, but those attempts failed. I also didn't know that we would be in CPH at the same time as the band. After talking to my friends, I decided to try and get a ticket, even though I knew it wouldn't happen. After being told there were no tickets, baffled by the prices scalpers were offering, I decided to try the ticket booth one more time. 

"I have an extra ticket. Can I sell it back to you?" 

The man in front of me in line happened to have an extra ticket and was trying to sell it back. After some conversation, he sold it to me for a reasonable price. (Jumping, smiling, looking at the ticket in disbelief ensues)

I have seen Dave Matthews Band twice before in the states. Both large arena tours in Minneapolis. This was a small venue, general admission on the floor with 2300 people in the audience. I had always wanted to see him at a smaller or outdoor venue, because I heard he was more passionate in his performance. 

I had a 50mm on my camera. They didn't take my camera away from me. They even brought the guy over from Live Nation, and they didn't take my camera away. (More disbelief ensues)

I went into the concert with my new friends from the bus ride. We got pretty close, but with a few "Undskyld" (excuse me), I told them I would be back and somehow made it up to the front row. (I was afraid to close my eyes because this had to be a dream). 

It was the best performance I have ever seen of Dave Matthews Band. Tim Reynolds and Jeff Coffin also played with the band. The songs they played could have been picked off my "most played" list in iTunes. 

Here are some of my favorites...

I will be putting up more on my Flickr..Go and check out the rest!


DMB 1 copy

DMB 2-5 copy

DMB 2-10

4 comments:

Alexandra Browning said...

You. Are. A rock star.

sssktb said...

Sometimes Eve all I can say is you SUCK, But I still love you and I hope you had fun. Your count for Dave Matthews Band is 3 while mine is still negative.

rachel said...

absolutely incredible. I can't wait til I get to say "I knew her when she was just a rug rat." ; )

August Kryger said...

I'm speechless..these are beautiful and I am still absurdly and obnoxiously jealous! You did it proud with your camera though, really wonderful stuff. Congrats on getting to go, that's awesome (read: I hate you.)

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.