Monday, March 29, 2010

Not My Usual Style.


We were assigned a portrait series during our first workshop. Due to our teacher having to go shoot an assignment in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (I know..I know), these assignments were just critiqued. Mads wanted the series to have continuity in the lighting, environment, distance, toning and subject matter.

During my freshman year at Mizzou, I shot a story for The Maneater on the Columbia Roller Derby Team. I was amazed and intimidated all at the same time. These girls are Bad Ass. I wanted to continue my work with the sport in Denmark. So, I took portraits of the team for my assignment.

After our lecture about portraiture, I decided to really go outside my comfort zone for the series. I also wanted to add the feeling of roller derby too. So, I shot direct single flash.  Here are a few of my favorites...

2010_DSJ_Portraits

2010_DSJ_Portraits-3

2010_DSJ_Portraits-5

2010_DSJ_Portraits-2

2010_DSJ_Portraits-6

4 comments:

photophanatic1887 said...

I love the horizontal ones... it gives space for more of a sense of space and room to breathe. Loooooove them all though!

August Kryger said...

I like these mucho mucho! I think it's always good to break out and do something different. The harsh light works perfectly for these subjects and adds grittiness and emotion to what could otherwise be mediocre portraits. Way to go!

Taylor said...

I agree with Chelsea about the horizontal ones...love these!

Lavendel said...

Hi Eve---I'll write you a mail soon - nice photos...I think we can work something out - best regards Lone/Lavendelgarden

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.