Thursday, July 9, 2009

Back In Hyderabad

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

The feelings I have experienced over the last 48 hours are filled with excitement, exhaustion and an overwhelming sense of relief to be back in a place that is so special.Yesterday we flew into Mumbai and left the next day for Hyderabad. We landed at the new airport which didn't exist the last time I was here. The city looks so different than it did almost 3 years ago. Even the Q Mart, the local grocery store, had expanded. However, I was reminded during my walk this morning in Banjara Hills, that somethings haven't changed. I left the house this morning as all the neighborhood children were waiting for the buses to pick them up for school. I waved and said hello to the different groups of children waiting and then a particular face caught my attention. During my last visit, I took several photos of a little boy with a bandage around his head. When I saw his smile down the street, I was overcome with surprise at how much this little boy had grown over the last 3 years. Then, Machelle and I headed to the office for the day. As we pulled up, I saw the buses that Keep A Child Alive helped purchase for the orphanage. These buses help transport the 48 orphans to Ghandi Hospital. I left the office and walked around the town nearby. I took a left turn and ended up on a road I had never been down before, and I ended up at a school I didn't know existed. The head teacher spoke English and took me around to all of the classrooms. I love exploring and taking new roads because they can lead to incredible experiences.


I love being back in India.

1 comment:

Taylor said...

Eve...it's so amazing that you are back in India! I can't wait to see you in class and hear all of your stories.

The new photo size is very nice, by the way.

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.