Sunday, July 19, 2009

Taj Mumbai

BOM3

BOM2

BOM1

My Mumbai trip can be summed up by the message from a story I heard before I ate Shabbat dinner at the Chabad house in Mumbai. You may plan on going somewhere, but you really don’t know where you are going. I planned on going to Mumbai to go to do some sightseeing, go to the transformation center and the redlight district feeding program. But, I never could I have imagined what I actually got to do these past 4 days.

After I landed, I went back to Pastor Umali’s home and met his family. They are so lovely and were such wonderful hosts. They made a huge effort to make sure I saw a lot of Mumbai, and I really appreciate that. We went down to the city and they showed me Marine Drive and the Gateway to India. The city of Mumbai is much more crowded and condensed than Hyderabad. It’s a bit overwhelming. There are massive apartments that make a sandwich with other highrises, while slums are pushed in between.

We went and had tea in the Taj Hotel, where the terrorist attacks took place last November. As Ilooked at the structure from across the street, I couldn’t help but have flashbacks of sitting on the couch with my dad, seeing the building from the same viewpoint on the news. They have done an incredible job renovating the hotel. But the damage the bullet left in the marble pillars of the lobby are constant reminders of the events.

No comments:

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.