Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The calm of Hyderabad after Mumbai



So a little note and then some photos, mixing up the format a bit. Being back in Hyderabad after Mumbai was a calming experience. This is my 3rd time in India and I can finally say that I feel somewhat comfortable knowing where things are in the city and managing somewhat on my own. I walk around in Banjara Hills and the familiarity is making me feel less like a visitor and more like I am back in my neighborhood of Hopkins. I have been hanging out with my cousins and their friends which has been awesome. Now, they consider me a friend and I will be hanging out with them after my cousins leave. I go to Delhi tomorrow, which I am very excited about. I have had such a wonderful time seeing the different parts of India, but I always love coming back to Hyderabad. <span class=

This is a newly erected tent city near the park by my family's house in Banjara Hills. Machelle pointed out a balcony that I could get some interesting photos from. After a little maneuvering, I was able to get up to a high balcony and take this.
<span class=

This is a woman digging through the bags of trash left by the bus stop near the new tent city. I sat by her for a few minutes, inching closer and closer to her.
<span class=

<span class=
This is a photo of a mother and son together. I was kneeling next to them and noticed how their feet were intertwined.
<span class=
This is a small an example of the photo story I am doing about my cousins Hannah and Laurel. They have lived in India for pretty much their entire lives and Hannah was born here. To me they are Indian, regardless of their skin color. They are leaving India to go college at St. Cloud State in Minnesota. I had a realization a few days ago that I had an interesting photo story coming together in front of me and I didn't even realize it. I am focusing on their last 48 hours in Hyderabad.


No comments:

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.