Sunday, July 12, 2009

J.C. Reddy's Chicken and Mutton Market

BAWK 8

BAWK 3

BAWK 5

BAWK 4

BAWK 6

BAWK 2

My family lives in Banjara Hills, a suburb of Hyderabad. There are a series of little shops a little over a block away from the house. I like to walk down the street and observe the community as they come together at these shops. One of the places that I had never been was J.C. Reddy's Chicken and Mutton Market. Every time I went by, there was always a little line going outside the store, so yesterday I decided to go. I sat for awhile when I got there, trying to blend in with the scenery, but the manager came up to me and asked me a variety of questions. But this ended up being a good thing, because he invited me into the shop. There wasn't a lot inside. A stump, a knife, a few buckets, and a large cage in the back of the room filled with chickens. Blood from the day's sale pooled on the floor, catching dust and random feathers that fell from cage. I walked carefully around the back room, taking photos and trying not to touch anything. I decided to do a photo story about this shop because it is a central part of this community. People converge at these shops and it shows the importance of community in Indian culture.

2 comments:

spellbnd3 said...

Loving the pictures!!! Great shots :) I mean - fabulous!!!

Taylor said...

I love the framing on the 4th photo, and the last photo is just an excellent detail. It says so much!

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.