Friday, July 10, 2009

An Event 3 Years In The Making...

Chandracal 2

Chandracal 1

Banjara 2

Banjara 1

Chandrkal 3

Chandrkal 4

Chandrkal 5

Today was 3 years in the making. 3 years ago as I road away from the construction site in Chandrakal, I couldn't imagine what the orphanage** would end up looking like. My dad and Machelle have given me updates and shown me pictures, but I always felt that I didn't truly understand what it had come to be. As I saw the roof of the orphanage appear out of the horizon, I was in shock. Tears began slowly streaming down my cheeks as I saw what parents, with the help of so many people, had built. The campus is huge and the playground is amazing. I tried to gain some sense of composure as I was introduced to David and Sylvia, the incredible married couple that stays at the orphanage and helps take care of the children while my parents are back in the states. It was only 2 minutes before another set of tears appeared. Walking around the buildings, seeing the little chairs, the bunk beds and everything else that hadn't been there 3 years ago was beyond overwhelming. David took me over to see the children who were finishing up class before lunch. No words that I could type right now would be able to accurately describe the feeling when the 5 smiles from 3 years ago, have now turned into 47 smiles. I said hi and went to the cafeteria to meet them again for lunch. Seeing them all sit down, giggling with one another as they ate their dal and rice was truly seeing my parents dream come to life. One of the orphans that I had seen from 3 years ago, Roja sat and spoke with me during lunch time. She goes to school off of the campus and is #2 in her class. She speaks English with little problem and loves scrabble. I brought the game, BANANA GRAMS, my new obsession to play with her. After lunch, we played it and she loves the game! I am excited to play it with her when I go back in 2 weeks. I asked David about coming back to stay for 4 or 5 days in the coming weeks. He smiled and said, "Madam, you do not have to ask. You are not a guest, this is your home." I am looking forward to going back and helping with the children. I am hoping to do some sort of multimedia story on the orphanage. We played on the playground with them and then they had naptime and we headed back to Hyderabad. On the way home, we stopped to take photos of some Banjara Women. There clothing and jewelry are so unique and I love stopping in random small villages to take photos. Leigh Blake, the director of Keep a Child Alive, her son India and Ellie Milner, the director of the UK branch came out to the orphanage today with us. Keep a Child Alive has helped my parents through funding and support to make the orphanage a reality. Leigh was so happy with the outcome of the orphanage, which was great to see. I wish my dad had been here to see it, she calls him The Rebel Rabbi.

**-The Orphanage I am referring to was created by my parent's non-profit organization, Living India. It is an orphanage for children living with HIV/AIDS. For more information, the website is livingindia.org

Better building photos will come with the next visit.

No comments:

A little info.

My photo
I am recent graduate of the University of Missouri, majoring in photojournalism. Right now, I am a photo intern at The Dallas Morning News. Last year, I attended the Danish School of Media and Journalism in the International Photojournalism program. I love the journey of working on a photo story, the destination is never what was predicted.

ALL PHOTOS ARE THE PROPERTY OF EVE EDELHEIT, The Dallas Morning News, The Peoria Journal Star, The Chautauquan Daily. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. © 2008-2012 EVE EDELHEIT, THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, THE PEORIA JOURNAL STAR, THE CHAUTAUQUAN DAILY.